- President Ford
- Dr. Henry A. Kissinger, Secretary of State and Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs
- Dr. James R. Schlesinger, Secretary of Defense
- The Joint Chiefs of Staff:
- Gen. George S. Brown, USAF, Chairman
- Gen. Creighton W. Abrams, USA
- Adm. James L. Holloway, III, CNO
- Gen. David C. Jones, USAF
- Gen. Robert E. Cushman, Jr., USMC
- Lt. Gen. Brent Scowcroft, Deputy Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs
[Omitted here is material unrelated to Diego Garcia.][Page 2]
Adm. Holoway (GNO): [Omitted here is material unrelated to Diego Garcia][Page 3]
There is a Persian Gulf Task Force. We now know we can stay in Bahrain.
Chart number 14 shows our augmentation capability. Since October we have put a major force into the Indian Ocean for three or four quarters. It is difficult to support.
Kissinger : The Chinese are a great supporter of this deployment.
Adm. Holloway: It is difficult to do; that is why we want to see Diego Garcia upgraded.
President: Did the authorization knock out the limitation?
Scowcroft : Stennis put in $14.8 million which put it in the door.
President: But the authorization didn’t prevent it?
Scowcroft : No.
Kissinger : This Indian Ocean deployment is crucial for our foreign policy.
President: Is the harbor adequate?
Adm. Holloway: No. Even with dredging it could take only the oiler. We have only carrier ports like Mombasa. But we have a force going in in November for bilateral operations with the Iranian Navy. We go around South Africa once a year.
[Omitted here is material unrelated to Diego Garcia.]