62. National Security Study Memorandum 821
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Secretary of the Treasury
- The Secretary of Commerce
- The Secretary of Agriculture
- The Director of the Bureau of the Budget
- The President of the Export-Import Bank
- The Administrator of AID
- U.S. Economic Assistance Policy Toward Israel
The President has directed that U.S. economic policy toward Israel be evaluated. This study should examine:
—The amount of foreign exchange needed to meet Israel’s requirements over the next five years.
—The availability of foreign exchange exclusive of external assistance to finance Israel’s defense requirements.
—The alternative levels of U.S. economic assistance, if any, needed to meet Israeli military and non-military objectives.
—The alternative means of financing U.S. economic assistance to Israel.
This study shall be carried out by an NSC Ad Hoc Group chaired by a representative of the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. Its other members will be designated by the addressee agencies.[Page 212]
The study will be submitted by December 19 to the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs and will then be referred to the IG/NEA for review.
- Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Box 605, Country Files, Middle East, Israel, Vol. III. Secret; Sensitive.↩